Monday, November 20, 2006

My catalina 27





These are the photos of my Catalina 27
She was an 1973 model and had the outboard motor well, this gave her a lot more storage as the engine compartment was empty, in theory she should have been faster with less drag and weight.
She could sleep five if three of them were short people although three adults could sleep aboard. It would be a tight fit and no privacy two people would fit nicely and have lots of room for storage.

The galley was small and the icebox was good only for storage as it was not insulated well. I used a carry aboard ice chest and that worked fine for my purpose. I did not like the old alcohol stove and took it out and replaced it with a butane stove that operated off of small butane fuel cylinders. That worked well. The teak was dried out and would look good when teak oil was applied until it soaked in and then it looked dull. The head was not regulation and I used a port-a-potty that fit in the space between the vee berths and worked well. The boat wasn't rigged for shore power so I ran an extension cord from the dock to the cabin and had a power strip to plug into for lights and electrical appliances and occasional power tool usage and to recharge the battery. I also installed a BBQ on the aft rail and that to was a nice improvement.
The outboard was unreliable and got worse I should have replaced it instead of worring about it.
The most trouble were the running lights and the anchor light, I got the bow lights to work but the anchor light was not reliable, sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. I think it needed to be replace as it was original to the boat and had corrosion for sure.

She sailed well, very easy to sail no quirks and would hold a course and come about without fuss. All and all a fun little boat and pleasure to sail. As any old boat she had her problems such leaky windows, no place to stow the anchor or a dingy, the bimini needed to be replaced the deck teak redone the ... well the list went on.

That is me in the yellow and black foul weather gear don't I just look like the picture of someone on the cover of Lady's Home Journal ?

1 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Just a test

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home