Monday, July 12, 2010

Update 071210

Well, a lot has happened since the last post on this blog. Bought and sold a farm in Kentucky lived in an RV for a year bought a small ranchette in Texas have that up for sale and I am now traveling in another RV waiting for the Ranchette to sell and I have begun to look for another boat.
I am looking for a boat that I can take with confidence up and down the ICW do some exploring and gunk holing. So I am haunting the Internet sites that offer boats for sale and frustrating myself in the process.
I am older not as strong as I was and I have a medical issue that occasionally gives me a scare, but what the hell Let's Go For it :-)
So what kind of boat will it be? Don't know for sure yet given thought to several types. I have thought of going power instead of sail but a trawler yacht is expensive except for older wooden ones and I know first hand that some boat yards won't have anything to do with them. I have thought of sail of course; a sloop or ketch. I like the idea of a ketch as it is easier, supposedly, to manage the smaller sails instead of the sloop's large mainsail I also have considered motorsailers however I haven't seen many for sale on the Internet. Also when the wind pipes up as the saying goes dropping the mainsail on a ketch shortens sail quickly and efficiently. Here again it is the cost issue. Some ketches are very expensive so are some sloops for that matter, but the choices in sloops are better than ketches-there are few ketches for sail as compared to sloops. The size of the boat is an issue also. I found that a twenty-seven foot sloop was just a bit to small for my size and taste, a thirty foot boat sometimes seems better depending on its design. The draft of the boat is a concern especially in the ICW where shoaling of the channel is a problem in several parts of the waterway. I want to stay away from outboard motors, I haven't had good luck with outboard motors in the past. Also gasoline engines seem to use more fuel than diesel engines although the diesel fuel stinks whether it is exhaust or being loaded in the tank the smell hangs about for quite a while. I also want a functional galley, I like to eat and a tiny one burner stove isn't going to make me happy and an oven that works would be nice.
So there, the search has begun let's see how it goes and what adventures I can get into this time.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home